Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Response to Frankenstein

Frankenstein was nothing I had expected. The only Frankenstein movie I had ever watched was Young Frankenstein. I thought the movie made fun of the story in the book. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly was more sad than it was horrific and extremely differed from Hollywood's version. Fra
nkenstein's monster is more human-like than a monster, with emotions, wants and needs. Still grotesque however, the monster looks more like a zombie than Hollywood Frankenstein with bolts a flat head and stictching everywhere. Also, there is no big experiment or laboratory scene or lightening bolts shocking the monster to life. Nor was there a castle on a hill and an assistant named Igor. Mary Shelly just describes how the monster wakes up in Frankenstein's apartment. I found it interesting how in Hollywood the Bride of Frankenstein is brought to life where in the book Victor destroyes the bride before she is given life.

The book also made you feel sorry for the monster who was the only one of its kind and was rejected by his creator. He lived in lonliness with no purpose. The monster wanted Victor to feel what he felt thats why he killed everyone who Victor loved. 

I was surprised when reading that the monster had killed the child William, mostly because it is unheard of in horror movies today. Children are untouchable. 

It was very strange to me how the story started out. With journal entries and letters from a seaman, on the way to the north pole, to his sister. It threw me off but made sense in the end.  

Eventhough this version of the story I thought I knew was very instresting and informative, I think that I like Mel Brook's version better.

No comments:

Post a Comment