Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Interview with a Vampire

Both Louis and Claudia are interesting characters to me. Louis for his resistance to his vampire self and his perservation of his human soul. Even though Claudia is eternally a child on the outside she matures in the mind and becomes an assertive intellegent woman. When Claudia is turned she is quickly adaptable to the ways of a vampire. Since she is only about 5 at the time the only things she knows is gaining intellegence and feeding off humans. This does not supprise me though, children are very easily influence and able to adpat very well, Anne Rice probably knows this. For example, there are many instinaces when matured people cannot figure out new technologies, where as children can learn how to use things like a new computer or a television in as little as a few hours. I think this is because children are always in a learning mind set and Claudia is always in this mind set. Maybe this is because as we grow older I think we loose some thirst for knowledge because subconsiously we may think we know everything.

Lestat is an annoyance to me because of his needyness and his ability to manupulate people. I dislike this character because i dislike people like this in my own life. The relationship between Lestat and Louis is like a homosexual relationship to me, with Claudia as there adopted daughter. Lestat has a fear of being left alone. He is the kind of person in a relationship that clings to another and with all their might no the other leave, even if the other no longer wants to stay. Claudia is needy as well but in the different sense like the need of a parental figure in her life. This could be due to loosing her family to the plague or the fact that she is a child forever. Lestat and Louis are an example of opposites attract. Lestat is immoral, needy, and manipulative. While Louis has morality, is a loner, and has compassion.

I've seen the movie long before I read some of the book, but I've notice no HUGE differences from the book to the movie. Some minor characters and minor details are switched around. I believe Anne Rice had done this when writing the script so that the story would make more cinematic sense to someone who hasn't read the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment