Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Parable of the Sower

Honestly throughout this novel I cried, a lot, because like Lauren Olamina, I sense other people's pain. However, it's on an emotional level. That's why I tend to not read or watch movies that have a real sense of tragedy. Even though, the novel was set in the future, it still seemed real to me or that it could happen in the future. The sense of reality in the book comes from her journal entries like you are experiencing the tragedy through her eyes. Also, even though it is set in the future she talks about already existing evils like rape, murder, disaster, natural disaster (the earthquake), robbery, war... instead of advanced technologies or the dominance of them. I like how strong her character is even though she definitely has weaknesses like everyone. She sees God as reality rather than an almighty fictional character, like she says Zeus. No, her God is nature and change and I admire that and she has a way to thing logically about it. Nothing she can't see nothing she can make up its just there it's truth it's reality. Which can be hard to swallow. However, I believe that religion should be more about nature and change because its true that humans change like nature and religions like Christianity or Judaism are more fixed in their beliefs in traditional old ways set in Hebrew times. That's my opinion. Change is adaptation and adaptation is survival. Even mentally. I felt that when Lauren was traveling north with the survivors was like Moses leading the chosen people to the promise land. I find that this may symbolize that when things change people still need to have a sense of traditional values that should be kept. Which is a little indecisive of me, but i think that a balance of change with tradition should be kept. otherwise society can lead to to chaos and anarchy. No matter how much of a rebel or a hippie I may come across at times, I know that Anarchy will never function successfully, ever. People cannot be trusted. and if there is no form of government someone will take the opportunity to be a leader, and not everyone is independent therefore some people need to be followers. Also, like Lauren says in her journals people will group together no matter what and try to con core each other for power greed and other things. Governments are like these groups however organized government on a large scale is more secure. war can be avoided with communication sometimes that does not always go over successfully and someone may cast the first stone. Its all just so complicated to say the least. I think that the best thing to do in this world is to listen to what you are taught and learn to think for yourself but harm non and be kind to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment